Name That City! — April 20, 2021
Here are three groups of recognizable names. Guess the city in which each group was born .
- Charles Schultz, Anne Tyler, J. Paul Getty
- T.S. Eliot, Max Factor Jr., Maya Angelou
- Fred Astaire, Warren Buffett, Malcolm X
Here are the answers:
- Minneapolis, MN—Schultz, the influential cartoonist, began exercising his gift as a child when he’d draw pictures of the family dog Spike (Snoopy’s inspiration), who was known to eat tacks and razor blades; novelist Tyler has published over 20 novels, three of which were finalists for the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Her novel Breathing Lessons won the prize in 1989. J. Paul Getty was considered the world’s richest man in the 1950s and 60s, making his fortune in the oil business. Upon his death, the J. Paul Getty Trust was created, the world’s largest cultural and philanthropic organization dedicated to the visual arts.
- St. Louis, MO—Thomas Stearns Eliot was born on September 26, 1888. He lived in St. Louis during the first eighteen years of his life. Factor, the guy who brought us waterproof mascara and long-lasting lipstick, was born in St. Louis in 1904. American poet, memoirist, and civil rights activist Angelou was born Marguerite Johnson in 1928.
- Omaha, NE—Widely considered to be the most influential dancer in the history of film, Astaire’s career spanned 76 years. Though more known for hoofing it with Ginger Rogers, he began his career with his sister Adele. Business tycoon Buffett, noted for his adherence to value investing,and his personal frugality despite his immense wealth, began his education at Rose Hill Elementary School in Omaha. Omaha remembers native human rights activist Malcolm X with a 14-acre memorial on Evans St. in Omaha.
Thanks for playing!