Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
Here’s a review of the questions:
- What city designed the world’s first water filtration facility?
- What city boasts an historic hotel where ducks visit the lobby fountain from 11am to 5pm every day?
- What city is largely credited for the creation of Western swing music?
And here are the answers:
- Columbus, OH—In 1903, two brothers, Clarence Hoover, chief chemist and bacteriologist of sewage treatment, and Charles Hoover, chemist in charge of the water plant, worked to invent the methods of water and wastewater treatment that are still used today. This project became known internationally as “The Columbus Experiment.”
- Memphis, TN—The Peabody Memphis is one of the city’s grandest and most legendary hotels that just happens to have a bunch of ducks play in the hotel’s fountain every day. It started as a practical joke in the 1930s when two guys placed decoy ducks in the fountain. In 1940, Bellman Pembroke, a former circus animal trainer offered to deliver live ducks to the fountain every day. The tradition continues.
- Tulsa, OK—Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys are considered by music authorities to be the founders of Western swing. The bands daily shows originated from the stage of Cain’s Ballroom.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city!