Name That City! — Dec 16, 2021
Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What southern city is home to the NHL hockey team, “the Hurricanes”?
- Dick’s Sporting Goods got its start in Binghamton, NY. However, its corporate headquarters are now located in what neighboring state’s second largest city?
- What southern city is home to Rupp Arena?
And here are the answers:
- Answer: Raleigh, North Carolina. While most professional sports teams referred to as being from “Carolina” are based in Charlotte (Hornets, Panthers), the Hurricanes play their home games at PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina. The team, referred to as the Canes, are a franchise previously based in Hartford, CT, where they were known as the New England Whalers. The team moved to North Carolina in 1997 and have been very successful, winning a Stanley Cup Championship in 2006.
- Answer: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Richard “Dick” Stack started Dick’s Sporting Goods as a fishing tackle store in the Upstate New York town of Binghamton, New York, in 1948. Stack’s offspring took over and relocated the company’s headquarters to Pittsburgh in the 1980’s. The company has grown tremendously since then, and now consists of 50,000 employees working at 850 locations.
- Answer: Lexington, Kentucky. The University of Kentucky Wildcats basketball team has called Lexington, Kentucky’s Rupp Area home since 1976. Named for Hall of Fame coach Adolph Rupp, the arena brought a complete sports, entertainment, and convention facility to Central Kentucky for the first time in its history. Considered a mecca for college hoops by many “Big Blue” fans across the country, Rupp has also hosted some of the biggest names in music, including Paul McCartney and Bruce Springsteen.