Name That City! — Feb 10, 2022
Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What southern city is home to the corporate office of Federal Express?
- What city is home to the global headquarters of spirits giant Brown-Forman?
- What midwestern city serves up a delicious local dish called Steak de Burgo?
And here are the answers:
- Memphis, TN. FedEx is based in Memphis because that’s where it all started in 1973. Memphis businessman Frederick W. Smith started the company with 14 small aircraft flying from the Memphis International Airport. He called his new venture Federal Express, and all these years later it is the largest express transportation company in the world, with more than half a million employees worldwide.
- Louisville, KY. Brown-Forman, which is the parent company of American whiskey giants Jack Daniels, Woodford Reserve and Old Forester, has a rich history in bourbon production. Founded in 1870 by George Garvin Brown, a young pharmaceuticals salesman in Louisville, who had the then-novel idea of selling top-grade whiskey in sealed glass bottles, Brown Forman is now the eleventh largest spirits company in the world. In addition to American whiskey, Brown Forman represents producers of vodka, tequila, Scotch whiskey and several different wine brands. Annual revenues average over four billion dollars.
- Des Moines, IA. Steak de Burgo is a filet cooked to order and served with a sauce that is either butter-based or cream-based, both containing ample amounts of garlic and Italian herbs. Both versions have their champions, although a person can’t go wrong with either.