Name that City! — July 30, 2020
Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
- Given its nickname, it’s no surprise that this city was the first to complete construction on the nation’s first concrete highway. What city are we talking about?
- This city has the steepest officially recorded public street in the U.S. What city is it?
- If you wanted to see the largest, contiguous system of enclosed, second level bridges in the world, what city would you have to go to?
And here are the answers:
- Detroit, MI—The Motor City’s M-1, commonly known as Woodward Avenue, is a north–south state trunkline highway in the Metro Detroit area of the US state of Michigan. The highway, called “Detroit’s Main Street,” runs from Detroit north-northwesterly to Pontiac.
- Pittsburgh, PA—Canton Avenue in the Beechview neighborhood of Pittsburgh is only one-tenth of a mile long but it’s a steep one. It has a maximum gradient of 37 percent.
- Minneapolis, MN—The Minneapolis Skyway System is composed of 9.5 miles of pathways connecting 80 city blocks. It connects offices, restaurants, bars, retail banks, doctors and just about any other establishment you can think of.
Thanks for playing!