Name That City! — June 23, 2022
Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What southern city is home to the world’s largest ceiling clock, a five-story Foucault pendulum and frieze?
- What midwestern city is the birthplace of author R.L. Stine?
- What city’s downtown is home to the Blind Bear Speakeasy, a prohibition-themed bar with a 1920s-style twist?
And here are the answers:
- Lexington, KY. Built in 2001, the ceiling clock at Lexington’s Public Library holds the distinction of being the world’s largest ceiling clock. Lexington philanthropist Lucille Caudill Little provided a substantial donation and dedicated the project to her late husband. It depicts the history of the horse in its frieze. The five-story Foucault pendulum was built by the Verdin Clock Company of Cincinnati, Ohio, and was officially started by Mrs. Little burning the cord holding the plumb bob on New Year’s Eve 2001.
- Columbus, OH. Top-selling children’s book author Robert Lawrence (R.L.) Stine started out writing jokes and funny stories in his hometown of Columbus, OH. He moved to New York City in the mid-1960s, after graduating from the Ohio State University. In 1986, Stine published Blind Date, his first horror novel for young adults. He launched his popular Fear Street book series three years later. Beginning in 1992, Stine found international acclaim writing the Goosebumps series, which spurred the creation of additional series and nearly 200 books. The story goes that Stine started writing on a typewriter he found near his Columbus home when he was nine years old.
- Memphis, TN. The Blind Bear Speakeasy’s website perpetrates its mysterious vibe, but one look at the menu clues you in to what this joint is all about – innovative dinner and late night munchie offerings, as well as “Giggle Water,” which is what they call their drink menu! Events at the Blind Bear include live music from Queen Ann Hines and the Royal Gents; Texas Hold ‘Em nights; Burlesque with Velvetina; karaoke with DJ Superbad and more. Opened in 2011 by Jeannette & Jamie West, the Blind Bear brings something special to downtown Memphis’ nightlife.