Name That City! — May 20, 2021
Here’s a review of the teams:
- University of Michigan Wolverines
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- University of Pittsburgh Panthers
And here are the answers:
- The Ohio State University Buckeyes—The rivalry between these two became supercharged during the 1970s through the 2000s as most of their games determined the Big Ten Conference. Apparently, the hatred between these two was fueled by an historical event in 1835—the claim of the Toledo Strip, a 468-square mile region of land at the states’ borders. Way to hold a grudge!
- USC Trojans—This football rivalry began in 1926. It is considered one of the most important rivalries in college football, and is often called the greatest intersectional rivalry in college football. The rivalry has been played every year except for two years during World War II.
- West Virginia University Mountaineers—Nicknamed The Backyard Brawl, the rivalry between the two schools is due mainly to their proximity to one another. WVU’s campus in Morgantown, West Virginia is only about 70 miles south of Pittsburgh.
Thanks for playing!