Here’s a review of the questions:
- What city boasts the largest half-marathon in the U.S.?
- William Potts is credited with inventing the three-lens traffic light. In what city did he live?
- The practice of luxury hotels putting a chocolate under the pillows of their guests began in what city?
And here are the answers:
- Indianapolis, IN– The OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon is the largest half marathon and the seventh-largest running event in the U.S. The race draws over 30,000 runners, joggers, walkers and wheelchair racers.
- Detroit, MI—Potts was a Detroit police officer who solved the problem that existed with two-color signals: Just green and red lights drivers didn’t have enough to stop. Potts devised a new system by inventing a yellow or amber light which would shine after the green light and before the red light.
- St. Louis, MO—The practice began at The Mayfair Hotel. It seems like a really trivial bit of trivia but the story is cool. Cary Grant was a frequent guest at the hotel. He’d booked the penthouse in order to have a tryst with a young lady. He had the staff lay a trail of chocolates from the sitting room to the bedroom and across the bed. The hotel’s manager liked the idea so he made putting a chocolate under the pillow a regular practice.
Thanks for playing!