Name that City! — Oct 21, 2021
Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What midwestern city is the home of the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park?
- What midwestern city is the birthplace of Bass Pro Shops?
- Actors Michael Jeter and Dixie Carter, as well as senator/actor Fred Thompson are all alumni of the major university in what southern city?
And here are the answers:
- Grand Rapids, Michigan-The city has much to offer visitors and locals, and one of its greatest attractions is the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park. One of the nation’s most significant sculpture and botanic experiences, Meijer Gardens includes Michigan’s largest tropical conservatory; five indoor theme gardens; outdoor gardens, nature trails and boardwalk; sculpture galleries and permanent sculpture collection; library; café; gift shop; education center and meeting rooms. Fred Meijer was the founder of retail giant Meijer supercenter and was the 60th wealthiest man in America when he died in 2011.
- Springfield, Missouri—Bass Pro Shops began in 1972 in an eight-square-foot space at the back of a liquor store in Springfield. Founder Johnny Morris went on to become “the Walt Disney of the Outdoors,” and offers merchandise to all manner of customers in over 150 locations. Its mission has become much more that selling fishing gear and camouflage hoodies; it is to “inspire everyone to enjoy, love and conserve the great outdoors.”
- Memphis State University, in Memphis, Tennessee, changed its name in 1994 to the University of Memphis. Back before the change, a number of famous people counted themselves as members of “Tiger Nation.” US Congressman Steve Cohen and music superstar Jason Isbell also attended the school, which has a current enrollment of over 20,000. Its sports programs compete in American Athletic Conference.
Thanks for playing!