Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
Here’s a review of the questions:
- 8 Mile is a movie loosely based on rapper Eminem’s life. In what city was it filmed?
- The Oscar-winning The Shawshank Redemption, starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, was filmed in what city.?
- The movie Breaking Away was filed in the summer of 1978 in what city?
And here are the answers:
- Detroit, MI–The film’s protagonist, Jimmy B-Rabbit Smith, lives in a trailer park (today the A & L Mobile Home Park) on 8 Mile Road. The underground parking garage where Jimmy faces off with a rival rap crew is actually The Michigan Building, a former 1920s theater which fell into disrepair in the 1970s.
- Mansfield, OH–Shawshank Prison is actually the Ohio Reformatory, where most of the filming took place.
- Bloomington, IN–Many of the scenes in the movie were filmed on the Indiana University campus; glimpses of the Indiana Memorial Union are in the background of Dave’s ride through campus.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city!