Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
Let’s review the questions. Can you name each city associated with the following groups of nicknames?
- City of Lakes, Mill City, The Mini Apple, and City of Flour and Sawdust.
- The Blue Chip City, The City of Seven Hills, Paris of America, Porkopolis, The Queen City
- BBQ Capital of the World, City of Fountains, Cowtown, Jazz Capital of the World
And here are the answers:
- Minneapolis, MN–That last nickname, perhaps the most uninviting one ever, came about in the 19th century and was printed in several newspapers.
- Cincinnati, OH–The nickname of “The Blue Chip City” was launched in 1984 in an effort to convey the image that the city was “solid, stable, dependable, high quality, steady performer,” like a blue chip stock.
- Kansas City, MO–That BBQ tag comes from the fact that KS has more than 100 BBQ joints serving its metro area, but also because of its style of BBG, a specific regional barbecue style of slowly smoked meat that originated from the pit of Henry Perry in the early 20th century in Kansas City, Missouri.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city AND for reading Flyover Future!