Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
Let’s review the questions.
- In what city is the infamous Printer’s Alley located?
- In 1959 Berry Gordy Jr. developed a little outfit called Motown Records in this city.
- In which city did the style of jazz music called Bebop originate?
And here are the answers:
- Nashville, TN–What was once the center of Nashville’s printing industry, Printers Alley changed in the 40s to nightclubs that became a showcase for musical talent like The Supremes, Waylon Jennings, Hank Williams and Jimi Hendrix.
- Detroit, MI—Motown Records helped launch the careers of Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas, among others.
- Kansas City, MO—Alt sax player Charlie “Bird” Parker was a leading performer and composer of the Bebop era. For a few years now, Kansas City jazz organizations have marked his birthday week with a Charlie Parker Celebration.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city AND for reading Flyover Future!