Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
- Robert Hayden was the first Black writer to hold the office as US Poet Laureate. What city did he hail from?
- This city’s name derives from a word meaning “excrement faces”?
- The world’s very first air cargo flight landed in what city?
And here are the answers:
- Detroit, MI—Robert Hayden was born in Detroit in 1950 but lived in Ann Arbor in his later life. He earned a graduate degree in English literature from the University of Michigan. As a teaching fellow, he was also the first Black faculty member in Michigan’s English department.
- Des Moines, IA—The name was given by the Peoria tribe as an inside joke. In 1673, when Father Jacques Marquette asked the chief of the Peoria tribe what other tribes were in the area, the chief told him “mooyiinkweena” or “Moingoana.” That translates to “excrement-faces.” Apparently the joke was lost on Marquette.
- Columbus, OH–Pilot Phillip Parmalee flew two packages of silk from Dayton to Columbus in a Wright Model B airplane.
Thanks for playing!