Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What midwestern city is the birthplace of Red Hot Chili Peppers’ lead singer Anthony Keidis?
- In what southern city would you find Token Game Tavern, which specializes in “geeks, drinks, food and fun with arcade, pinball and board games” thrown in?
- In what midwestern city would you find a soccer team called the Menace playing at Valley Stadium?
And here are the answers:
- Grand Rapids, MI. Despite their image as a band deeply rooted in Los Angeles culture, the Red Hot Chili Peppers feature a front man born a long way from SoCal. Anthony Keidis was born in Grand Rapids in 1962 and lived there until he was twelve years old, which is when he moved with his mother to Southern California. He met original Peppers members Flea and Hillel Slovak while still in high school, and the band officially formed in 1983. The band have sold over 80 million records worldwide and were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2012.
- Knoxville, TN. Token Game Tavern isn’t your average bar. When its doors first opened in 2017, Token Game Tavern blended the social atmosphere of a bar with arcade machines and geeky posters. “We wanted our bar to be all-inclusive, where people come here for their niche,” says the bar’s owner. It has become a haven for adults who embraced their inner geek. They have regularly hosted social events such as video game tournaments, movie release night parties and cosplay contests. Food and drink offerings echo the gamer vibe, with names like “Game Over,” “Totem Ritual” and “Big Kid Juice Pouch.”
- Des Moines, IA. Founded in 1994, the Des Moines Menace began their competitive life as an expansion team in the old United States Interregional Soccer League (USISL). They now play in USL League Two, the fourth tier of the American Soccer Pyramid. They won championships in 2005 and 2021. Their current roster boasts players from Brazil, Switzerland, Ghana and Sweden, alongside American-born players.