Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
Here’s a review of the questions:
- Lorenzo Charles made a game-winning slam dunk in the 1983 NCAA championship game against Houston. Who did he play for?
- In the 1987 championship game against Syracuse, Keith Smart took matters into his own hands and buried the game-winning shot. Who was his team?
- It shall go down in history as “The Shot.” This game-winning shot from player Christian Laettner will never be forgotten by either team in this 1992 championship game. Who did Laettner play for?
And here are the answers:
- NC State (Raleigh, NC)—Dereck Whittenburg had the ball in the final seconds of the game against Houston. He attempted a long shot from beyond the top of the key. The shot missed and Charles turned the air ball into an alley-oop dunk…and a joyous celebration from Coach Valvano.
- Indiana University, Bloomington, IN—Smart took a quick dribble to his left and nailed a pull-up jumper, defeating Syracuse for the championship.
- Duke University (Durham, NC)—In overtime with 2.1 seconds remaining, Grant Hill threw a court-length pass to Laettner who then faked right, dribbled once, turned, and hit a jumper as time expired for the 104–103 win.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city AND for reading Flyover Future!