Name that Flyover City! — March 3, 2022
Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What midwestern city is home to Crown Hill Cemetery, the third largest cemetery in the United States?
- President Harry Truman ran a haberdashery in this midwestern city before entering politics. What city was it?
- In this city, you can find the best BBQ ribs you’ve ever had at the Rendezvous. Or maybe Central BBQ or Tom’s – all depends on who you ask. What city is it?
And here are the answers:
- Indianapolis, IN. Considered a “rural” cemetery when it opened in 1863, Crown Hill Cemetery was established at Strawberry Hill, whose summit was renamed “The Crown,” a high point overlooking Indianapolis. The U.S. government authorized it as a burial site for Union soldiers in 1866, and as a Field of Valor in 2004. It is the final resting place for a wide variety of historical figures, including President Benjamin Harrison; notorious bad guy John Dillinger; three former Vice Presidents; and over thirty senators, governors, and congressmen.
- Kansas City, MO. While he was Vice President and later President, Harry Truman had strong opinions about his clothing. Having once owned a haberdashery in Kansas City, he knew something about menswear and dressing the part. Friends he made in the business later became his personal tailors. The name of the store was the Truman and Jacobson Haberdashery, located at 12th and Baltimore in Kansas City. It was in operation from 1919 until 1921. He was elected county judge of Jackson County, MO in 1922, and his political skills carried him all the way to the White House.
- Memphis, TN. Memphis is famous for many things, and barbecue ribs are certainly near the top of the list! For over 70 years, Charles Vergo’s Rendezvous has been serving its signature dry rub ribs in a basement through a downtown alley across from the Peabody Hotel. Meanwhile, Central BBQ offers “fall-off-the-bone-meat, southern hospitality and good times” at its four Memphis locations. Over at Tom’s Barbecue and Deli, they’ve been in the game for nearly four decades and are known as the place “Where Friends Meat!”