Here’s a review of this week’s questions:
- What midwestern city is home to the largest children’s museum in the world?
- What midwestern city is home to WLW, the first “Super Station” in the United States?
- What southern city is the home to Kaizen, a Japanese-style pub opened by chef Jesse Newmister?
And here are the answers:
- Indianapolis, IN. Opened in 1925, the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis comprises over 400,000 square feet of museum space at its five-story structure on North Meridian Avenue. With exhibits including Natural Science, World Culture and even an art installation dedicated to sports, the museum has something for every kid’s interests, and probably most adults, too!
- Cincinnati, OH. When you hear, “50,000 watts of power,” the way many big radio stations advertise themselves, it sounds like a lot, right? Well, that’s nothing compared to what WLW in Cincinnati was doing in the 1920’s. The station was able to live up to its claim of being “the most powerful radio station in the world” when its broadcast strength was cranked up to 500,000 watts. During World War II, the federal government utilized WLW to broadcast the Voice of America all over the world. Eventually, the Federal Communications Commission reduced the maximum wattage for radio stations to 50,000 watts. WLW is still heard today, at 700 on the AM dial.
- Knoxville, TN. Chef Jesse Newmister assisted in opening Knoxville’s Northshore Brasserie in 2005, bringing French and Belgian cuisine to a burgeoning restaurant scene. Looking to diversify the cuisine in downtown Knoxville, he focused on a Pan-Asian theme. Newmister researched what type of Asian restaurant would fit the space. His travels had made him familiar with the concept of an “Izakaya,” a Japanese-style pub, and he realized that the space being considered for his new restaurant was a perfect setting for this venture. He explains the meaning of the restaurant’s name this way: “The word ‘kaizen’ basically means continuous improvement and taking input from everybody to better the whole.” From pork belly buns to oyster fried rice, Newmister tries to keep the menu fresh and creative.