Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
A review of today’s questions:
- Southerners say “ya’ll.” Philadelphians say “yous guys.” Natives of this city say “yinz.” What city are we talking about?
- Halsey Hall was born in this city and went on to be a sports reporter and announcer. He was the first to use the term “Holy cow!” as a home run call.
- The name given to a rivalry between two schools in this city is called The Bedlam Series.
And here are the answers:
- Pittsburgh, PA–Did yinz get the answer right? second-person plural pronoun is used mainly in Western Pennsylvania English, most prominently in Pittsburgh.
- Minneapolis, MN—Though most people think Harry Caray was the originator of that term, Hall was using it way before him. Hall began working in journalism in 1919.
- Oklahoma City, OK—The Bedlam Series refers to the athletics rivalry between Oklahoma State University Cowboys and Cowgirls and the University of Oklahoma Sooners of the Big 12 Conference.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover City AND for reading Flyover Future!