Name that Flyover city! — November 25, 2019
Welcome back! We hope you are enjoying Name that Flyover City!
A review of today’s questions:
- This city’s state fair is known (since 1911) for its butter cow sculpture.
- The name of this city was derived from the Creek Indian word “tallasi.”
- This city is home to the legendary Sun Studio.
And here are the answers:
- Des Moines, IA—The Iowa State Fair features the 600-pound butter cow sculpture every year. Sarah Pratt is the official butter sculptor.
- Tulsa, OK—“Tulsa” was derived from a contraction of the Creek word “tullahasee,” which means “old town.” (If you guessed Tallahassee you get points because that city name is derived from the Apalachee word “old town.”)
- Memphis, TN—Sun Studio is also known as the “Birthplace of Rock’n’Roll.” In the 1050s, the studio would let anyone record a track for $3.98. In 1953, some kid named Elvis recorded his first track there for his mom.