Name that Flyover city — October 17, 2019
Ready for your answers?
First, let’s recap the questions:
- This city is the location of a river that has caught fire many times.
- This city has been called the “Streaking Capitol of the World.”
- Actor Rob Lowe was playing in PGA pro-am tournament in this city when he hit a golf ball that killed the state bird in mid-flight.
And now the answers:
- Cleveland, OH—The Cuyahoga River feeds into Lake Erie. When Cleveland became a major city for manufacturing, the river was heavily affected by industrial pollution. It caught fire at least 13 times until the last time in 1969, which spurred the American environmental movement.
- Knoxville, TN—Yes, kids there was a time when running naked in public places was a thing. At the height of the “Streaking” movement, Walter Cronkite dubbed Knoxville as the Streaking Capitol of the World. Supposedly, at the height of the craze, an estimated 5,000 people on Cumberland Avenue took their clothes off.
- Des Moines, IA—The odds were 1 in 747 million, but Lowe’s golf ball hit and killed a goldfinch, Iowa’s state bird, in mid-flight.
Thanks again for playing!