Name that Flyover city — October 2, 2019
We hope you’re enjoying “Name that Flyover City” and that you’re really over that pink house thing.
First, let’s review the questions:
- There’s a song named after this city that includes the lyrics “On the corner of Twelfth Street and Vine.”
- This is the only city in the U.S. where you can look South at Canada.
- Every Memorial Day since 1983, this city holds an annual fundraiser called the “World’s Largest Brat Fest.”
And, now, the answers:
- Kansas City, MO—The song Kansas City was written by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller. Wilbert Harrison’s 1959 version of the song’s is the most famous recording. Ironically, natives say, the streets never actually meet to form a true intersection. It’s a mythical party point where “they got a crazy way of loving there/And I’m gonna get me some.”
- Detroit, MI—A curve in the Detroit River, the ribbon of water that joins Lake St. Clair to Lake Erie, creates a situation where Windsor, Canada is in fact due south of Detroit. You can keep believin’, but despite what Journey says, there really is no such location as South Detroit.
- Madison, WI–In 2010, 209,376 brats were consumed during the festival—which is believed to be a world record for a single festival over a 4-day period.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover city AND for reading Flyover Future!