Name that Flyover City — October 4, 2019
If you got thee right, you know your singer bios well!
First, let’s review the questions:
- “To this day, whenever I’m in ________, which is often, I’m reminded that the people there still haven’t gotten over the Braves leaving … If it helps, they should know the players haven’t either.” — Hank Aaron
- “I can’t escape being born in Pike County, Kentucky, grandson of a miner, Luther Tibbs, and his wife, Earlene, and traveling as a child up and down Route 23 between Kentucky and _________, where I was raised, experiencing life via working-class people. Nor do I want to escape.” — Dwight Yoakam
- “The many sounds of ________ shaped my early musical career and continue to be an inspiration to this day.” — Justin Timberlake
And, now, the answers:
- Milwaukee, WI–Hank Aaron was born in Alabama but his baseball home was in Milwaukee. He played the first 12 years of his career there with the Milwaukee Braves, before they relocated in 1966.
- Columbus, Ohio–The honky-tonk crooner was born in Pikeville, Kentucky, but was raised in Columbus, Ohio, where he graduated from Northland High School in 1974.
- Memphis, TN–Timberlake began singing country and gospel music. By the time he was 11, he began listening to rhythm and blues musicians from the 1960s and 70s, such as Al Green, Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, and he had listening sessions with his father of studio albums by the Eagles and Bob Seger.
Thanks for playing Name that Flyover City AND for reading Flyover Future!