Name that flyover city — September 16, 2019
How did you do?
First, let’s review the questions:
- This city has been called the “Chili Capital of the World.”
- Scotch tape and the bundt plan were invented in this city.
- Once upon a time, this city bore the nickname “the Golden State” instead of California.
Now, the answers!
- Cincinnati, OH—earns that nickname because it has more chili restaurants per capita than any other city in the nation (or world). Cincinnatians consume more than two million pounds of the stuff each year, topped with 850,000 pounds of cheese.
- Minneapolis, MN—Scotch tape, the world’s first transparent tape, was invented in 1930 by banjo-playing 3M engineer Richard Drew. Bundt pans were invented in 1950 by H. David Dalquist, the owner of Minnesota’s Nordic Ware company.
- Charlotte, NC–In 1799, a 17-pound nugget unexpectedly turned up in Cabarrus County. Over the next several decades, miners would try to strike it rich throughout western and central North Carolina.